Sunday, January 29, 2012

Teacher's Back!

It's eight o'clock Friday morning. I unlock and open the classroom door, step through and turn on the lights.  Immediately I notice something different.  Inwardly smiling, I walk over to my desk, deposit my gear and get ready for the day.  Turn on the SMARTboard and laptop, write the date in English and Ojibway on the chalkboard, and put up the "Inspiration Board" (chart paper that we as a class jot down ideas for writing).  Then I jot down the morning bell expectations on the chalkboard:

  1. Attendance
  2. Please put ALL desks back the way they were before I left or face the wrath of Mr. K.
  3. Quiet Reading

At the 8:55 AM bell the students come in, glance at the board, and proceed to the dictionaries to look up the word "wrath".  Without complaint, all the desks are quietly and promptly moved to the original seating plan.  They continued on with taking their own attendance and quietly read until the morning office announcements were completed.  Then, with a "Good morning, grade seven and eight!  It's good to be back...", we promptly went into the math lesson for the day.

It was good to be back, even on a Friday.

No comments: