Sunday, January 1, 2012

I Resolve To...

Yes, I know, this topic is popular at the beginning of every new year.  However, I needed to write down my own "resolutions", so why not on my blog.  That way my family and friends can also nag encourage me, too. 

New Year's resolutions can be well-intentioned but are often too vague to have any lasting impact.  Concrete goals with simple steps, on the other hand, are more manageable and allow for accountability (check list!).  There is a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when checking off the goals on your list. 

I don't have a long list this year, but I resolve to...

...Read scripture everyday, personally and with the family.  In past years I've tried to read the whole Bible in one year (NLT One Year Bible), but found it to be too much.  This year I am going to start with just the New Testament.  Hopefully that will be much more manageable.  The family began a new devotional today that ties in with the Adventure Bible we gave Fi recently.  The first devotional aptly talked about trusting in God and His wisdom, which set a positive tone for this new year.

...Improve my photography by investing in some good glass.  I have always wanted to get a Nikon D700 as I love natural light photography and often wish I could bump up the ISO a bit.  However, it is about to be discountinued as Nikon will be releasing an update soon (D800).  Unfortunately, the upgrade will be megapixel heavy (36MP?!), which is way beyond what I need and beyond my computing power (16MP or less, Nikon!).  Sigh.  So, new glass instead.  Maybe the 85MM 1.4G (or the rumoured 1.8G) or the 70-200MM lens.

...Experiment more with photography.  Specifically, I want to try my hand at star trails this year.  I recently read a great article about how to go about taking star trail photos in Practical Photography.  We live in a great location for this (unlike when in TO), so why not?  I also need to put more effort into the monthly photo challenges my friends and I are involved in.  Maybe even start a 365 project...Hmmm.

...Play with the Sprouts more often.  Too much work this past year got in the way of building better relationships with my kids.  I need to get down on the floor with my kids and immerse myself in their world.  I also need to continue to enjoy their sense of wonder of God's creation.

...Take my wife on more dates.  Difficult to do where we live and with what we do, but some alone time away from the Sprouts (though we love them dearly!) would be a good thing.

...Make shorter lists.  So much for my short list this year.  I haven't even talked about my teaching goals, or running goals, or even my iPad app "Tiny Tower" goals (not really, just wanted to see if you were paying attention).

What resolutions or goals do you have for this year?

1 comment:

Jodi.C said...

I resolve to drink more water. Not too valient, but important when I get too stressed and neglect my body-- and the body of this unexpected little girl growing inside.

I wish were around in order to help with the sprouts while you and EK go on dates.

Happy new year!