Thursday, October 28, 2010

Picture Day

Was today a turning point for my grade sevens and eights?  I don't know yet if it was, but for the first time this year my classroom felt like a place of learning.  My grade seven and eight students were motivated, and this was due in part to the excitement generated by my grade eight students as they donned purple gowns for picture day.  For the first time in the school's history (as far as I know), my students will take part in graduation day next June.  In the past, only the senior kindergarten class and high school students celebrated graduation.  I don't know why the grade eight class was left out, but thanks to an idea planted by a high school teacher last year, and a discussion with administration, grade eights at our school will now celebrate a life and education milestone with the school and surrounding community (and I get to be a part of this!).  My grade eights experienced today but a brief glimpse of that future day next June by putting on those graduation gowns (and my grade sevens a glimpse two years down the road).  This day will be added to the list of encouragement that I use to motivate my students to do their best work so that they can succeed in the classroom and in life (along with the motivation that my students won't have me for a third straight year!).

No comments: