Thursday, November 4, 2010

Seven Year Old Sprout

It's hard to believe that our oldest sprout is already seven. I can still remember vividly Fiona's birth, the emotional roller coaster of having a child put in an isolette, tears streaming down my face. I remember the day she finally came home from the hospital, and how terribly slow I drove home to keep her safe. I remember her first steps, words and gestures like it was yesterday. I remember taking her on subway rides, going with her at least twice a week to the library, exploring the nearby neighbourhoods, reading all the time, playing at the park, singing, talking, drawing, building train tracks, and, well, the list continues.

And time marches (sprints) on...

Today it still amazes me that my spouse and I are the parents to this young girl. How blessed we are to have the privilege of raising such a bright, intelligent, curious person. A person who can read the instructions to a new game in the time it takes me to make a cup of tea, teach me the game, and beat me, too! A person who reads novels in one sitting and reminds me of the Dr. Seuss quote:

"The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."

A person who asks deeper questions than I, writes from the heart and who cares for her immediate and extended family (and close friends) deeply.  A person who loves God, sings His praises, and challenges me to do the same. I hope that as she continues to grow and mature into a young woman that she will enjoy and experience life with the same seven year old spirit she has today.

Happy Birthday, FK!

Pic of FK at two:






 
 
 
 
 
 
Pic of FK at almost seven:
 

No comments: