Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Daylight Savings

My favourite time of day to run is early morning (6 AM or earlier).  Yet for the past three weeks I have had to run after school because it has been too dark to run.  There are no streetlights, and the moon and stars don't give enough light to even see my shuffling feet.  But this morning was a blessing thanks to daylight savings time.  I laced up my Sauconies, put on my Nike cap and gloves, and stepped outside.  Though it was dark, the hint of a glow from a rising sun helped point my way down our driveway, up the lane, down the big hill and out into the "wild".  I love running.  It's my alone time, my exercise time, my thinking time, my praying time, my de-stressing time, my admiring the beauty of early morning time, my "get pumped up for the day" time.  Early morning runs help me find focus for the day.  Often I come back into the house looking for paper and pencil to write down thoughts and ideas that have jostled loose during my run.  When I miss a morning run, it impacts my whole day.  In just two weeks I will once again have to run in the early evening (the sun is already setting at 4:30 PM!).  So, for now, I will enjoy thoroughly running at 6 AM, feet pounding the pavement (or gravel), watching the sun peek its head over the horizon.

No comments: