Thursday, April 1, 2010

Yard Work

I inherited the clean yard bug from my dad, a man who takes great pride in his outdoor domain. This past year and now this year I have found myself out in the yard after the spring thaw, running a rake through the lawn to collect the detritus that collects during the winter. There is a satisfaction at the end of raking a lawn or cleaning a yard, a sense of accomplishment with the knowledge that the work was done well. I find that this kind of work somehow cleanses my mind. The focus on manual labour in the great outdoors allows the grey fog of work and worry to slowly dissipate and disappear (at least for awhile anyway).

I wonder if my dad experienced the same thing I did today. Did he have an almost three year old with little red boots on following him around , trying to help (but not being very helpful)? Did he have constant chatter thrown at him, questions and more questions, and pointed repeated observations ("Papa, you are raking the grass,...chatter...chatter...papa, you are raking the grass...")? I hope he did, because though on the surface it may have seemed annoying, it was wonderful to have JK doing all these things with me today.

I wonder of JK will experience the same thing one day with his little red booted three year old?

No comments: