Sunday, April 18, 2010

A New Lens Comes in Handy

I recently added a new addition to my photographic gear: a Nikon 70-300 mm VR 4.5-5.6 lens. I haven't had a chance to use it much for wildlife photography (the reason I bought it) because our bear/wildlife alarm (read JK) has been with me most of the time I've had it out. However, I had the perfect opportunity to use it today. My spouse has written about it on her blog so I don't have to go into the whole story (there sometimes is a little bit of a competition to see who can get the story online first!). Suffice it to say, with the new lens I was able to get a little closer to the water bomber action than with my 18-200 MM. Check out a few pics on my Flickr site.

I love this new lens. I am still working out using the slow auto-focus (mostly because I shoot at low ISO's on the Nikon D80 to avoid noise issues), but the sharpness of the pictures is amazing (if I can hold still, anyway). Like I said earlier, it has a longer reach than the 18-200 mm, which makes it an affordable option to get a little closer to the Northern Ontario wildlife than I have been able to in the past. Hopefully more wildlife pics will be had in the future!

This lens was very affordable as I bought it new through Henry's Ebay site. Check it out here.

No comments: