Saturday, May 21, 2011

Crew Manager

"Papa, I think you should cut the grass."

"Papa, is it time to cut the grass?"

"Papa, the grass is growing. You should cut the grass."

"Papa, you should ask ______ to bring gas for the lawnmower. You need to cut the grass."

"Papa, did ______ bring the gas yet?"

"Papa..."

Ever since I cleaned the yard and raked the lawn to clear away winter's leftovers, the littlest sprout has been zealous in reminding me to cut the grass. I had to wait until someone from the school brought out gas to the "teacherage" for the lawnmower that was provided for us to cut our own lawn. So, for two weeks I have been hearing the constant refrain from JK to "cut the grass".

Yesterday gas was finally made available and I was able to take out the lawnmower to JK's great delight. I put on my old running shoes, gloves and baseball cap. JK wanted to do the same. "Papa, I can't find my cap!" Then, after his sister put on her boots, "You can't wear boots to cut grass, you need shoes like Papa and I, and a hat, too!"

All the while I cut the lawn, JK tromped along behind me, checking to make sure the lawn was properly cut. He continually yelled over the noise of the mower, "Papa's cutting the grass. Papa's cutting the grass!" Our poor neighbours.

After finishing mowing our property and along the long driveway, I cleaned and put the mower away, all the while answering questions from an inquisitive little boy. "What are you doing? Why...How...Where...?" An enjoyable task (I like yard work) at the end of a long week was made even more enjoyable with my little crew manager taking such great interest in his papa's work, and in his papa.

No comments: