Tuesday, December 7, 2010

News Travels Fast

A parent of one of my students came by today during school hours to drop off a form for his son. As he handed it to me, he asked, "How is your little boy?" It took me a moment to realize that he was asking about JK (like I have other sons!). I was surprised by the question as I wondered how did he know about JK? (though I shouldn't have wondered, as news travels fast in a small community, especially about "visiting" teachers).  I answered, "He's doing well. We are watching him closely." The parent went on to say, "If there is anything your family needs, let us know."

I almost cried at that point.

(But I didn't - you know how students can be if a teacher cries.  Especially a male teacher.).

I thanked him twice for his offer of help.

There are times when this community frustrates and confounds me greatly, but it certainly knows how to show concern, care and support when needed.

No comments: