Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Crackle and Pop

A square peg doesn't go into a round hole.  This is common knowledge, but sometimes one forgets (well I do, anway).  This is especially true when I write.  After publishing my "Snap" post, I was going to show the world how witty I was by writing a post called "Crackle" and another post called "Pop" (drum and cymbal sounds here: ba-dum-bum-tish).

But, alas, my dreams of being put on a pedestal of cleverness were dashed when I (re)discovered that writing continues to be an organic process.  You can't force situations to happen to fit your writing.  It's usually the other way around.  Writing is mostly based on personal experience.  I have yet since the "Snap" post to experience something dealing with crackle (I thought about autumn and crackling leaves under my feet, but no crackling leaves yet, just wet and soggy ones).  And pop, well, I could write about how much liquid sugar my students drink each day, or write about one of the Sprout's grandparents, but if the "Crackle" post isn't written, then the "Pop" post wouldn't make sense.

So, while craving Rice Krispy squares, I write a non-sensical post about writings that might have been.  For more eloquent prose, you are probably better off reading my spouse's blog instead.

Now, where is that cookbook...

No comments: