Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thumbs Up

Three.Weeks.To.Go.

Well, at least for students. The last day for teachers is June 21st. But still, three weeks! This morning, I wasn't sure I was going to make it. I feel exhausted, worn out and peopled out (when you are an introvert, being in a classroom full of preteens isn't exactly a haven of rest!). The family has been sick on and off for the past few months, daycare was closed this week and my students are now writing in their journals about how they can't wait until summer vacation (and I heartily agree with them).

Where was I going with this? Oh, yes. I received a literal thumbs up from a parent of one of my students this afternoon. You don't get those very often, so when you do, it's a pleasant surprise, and not only that, it's a kick in the pants. This thing called "education" isn't just about me, it's also about the students, the parents, and the greater community. So, moi, stop wallowing in self-pity. As a runner, you should know by now that this is about completing the race, and finishing strong. JUST DO IT (sorry, Nike!).

No comments: