Friday, March 26, 2010

A Song Left Behind

Last week our very close friends from Southern Ontario visited us for a few days. They are those friends that even though you do not see them very often (not as often as you would like to), you reconnect as if you had seen them yesterday. Our friends DJ, EJ, IJ and AJ are like family to us in a lot of ways. DJ and EJ are the hospitality king and queen. EK and I learned a lot from them about hospitality and friendship while living in TO. It was more than our turn to open up our home and give them the welcome they deserved.

We had a great time, and though I won't go into details, it was a blessing for our family to have the J's visit. They did leave something behind, however, that has impacted our family meal time: the Johnny Appleseed song (you know - the one from Disney's Melody Time). After prayer, our family now bursts out into joyful song. Even if our day has been less than ideal, the simple lyrics and clap-a-long tune lift heavy hearts and make JK smile from ear to ear.

I suppose now that they have left something behind, the J's will have another reason to come back and visit us again soon.

The Lord is good to me
And so I thank the Lord
For giving me the things I need
The sun and rain and an appleseed
Yes, he's been good to me

No comments: