Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Boat Named Mary Lou

The trait that is the focus right now in writing workshop is ideas.  One of the mini-lessons for developing ideas uses "building blocks" (when, place, name, colour/size) to help students craft detailed sentences that help paint a picture in the reader's mind.  I wrote a simple sentence paragraph on the board which included the sentence, "The boat rocked."  With the students' help new sentences were created that added layers of detail:

The boat rocked.
Last night, the boat rocked.  (when)
Last night on Lake Superior, the boat rocked. (place)
Last night on Lake Superior, the big yellow boat rocked. (size/colour)
Last night on Lake Superior, the big yellow boat named Mary Lou rocked. (name)

I then said, "Hmmm, I seem to recall another boat named Mary Lou.  I wonder where I have heard that before?" I knew the answer, but often, just like a lawyer in a courtroom, teachers know the answer to a question asked.  To my surprise, two of my grade eight students who I taught last year (in a 7/8 split, which I also teach this year) called out, "It's the name of the boat from the book Holes (a novel study last year)."  Hah!  It's small moments like the above that bring joy to a teacher and make teaching worthwhile.