Monday, June 13, 2011

It Is Necessary to Use the Necessary

On every class trip, choir or band tour that I have been involved in there has always been a saying that becomes the catch-phrase for the trip.  This time around was no different.  At Old Fort William, the guides would often be in character and use language appropriate to the time period.  I knew I was in trouble when a guide asked the students if they needed to use the necessary before moving on to the next task.  There were a few confused looks, followed by an "a-ha" moment.  With a smirk, one of my students said, "It is necessary to use the necessary."  The phrase was used from then on when a student needed to use the washroom.  The reason that I say I knew I was in trouble is that the phrase would be used for the rest of the school year.  Thank goodness I only have three days left to hear, "Mr. K., may I use the necessary, please?"  At least they ask politely!

No comments: