Monday, August 30, 2010

In the "Pro" Column

Supper tonight was a delight.  Not because the homemade spaghetti sauce was so delicious (made by yours truly), but because all four of us shared stories of our first day of school.  FK, in her matter of fact way (yet with excitement in her voice), talked about about journalling, art, class rewards, her amazing teacher, her fellow classmates, and, well, you get the idea.  JK, earlier in the day, shyly (yet proudly) showed me his "new" preschool room at the daycare and his artwork hanging on the wall. My spouse and I had great first days, EK deservedly so.  She has a small class this year, and from what I gather, are absolute angels (not really, I think, but after last year's class, PHEW!).  I was fortunate enough to reap the rewards of teaching most of my students last year, so despite some new faces, the routines and procedures that were ingrained last year remained in place, making the first day a joy.  My spouse even remarked that my students had smiles on their faces today. 

Today ended up being organic (thanks to Murphy's Law).  Fearless Leader was unexpectedly away (and now will be for some time due to health issues), there was no morning assembly, and the new lunch lady was alone cooking in the kitchen, with no one serving lunch.  However, though I, the eternal pessimist, used to freak out about such things, today I went with the flow, solved my own problems, changed my schedule to fit the students' needs, had back-up material to fill extra class time, and "volunteered" my class to help serve lunch (which could be a blog post all on it's own - image a class of seventeen grade sevens and eights plating up spaghetti - oh boy!).  Talk about personal and professional growth...

My spouse continues to hint strongly that I need to get my Education degree.  I haven't decided yet, but a day like today goes in the "Pro" column.

No comments: