Sunday, May 13, 2012

Roman Numerals

Weekend post-breakfast conversations usually start with a question posed by my daughter.  Today's question was, "What is the roman numeral for seven?"

"A capital V with two capital I's."

"What about eight?"

"A capital V with three capital I's."

"What about the rest?"

I found a piece of paper and pen, and based on my limited knowledge, began writing out roman numerals and explained how they work.  When I wrote down "C", the conversation turned into language, as "C" stands for centum (Latin for hundred). 

"That's why a centurion is named, well, a centurion.  He commands a group of one hundred men." 

"And why century is called century.  It's one hundred years!" 

"Yes. It's where the French get cent (hundred) and why we call our penny a cent".

"Why?"

"It's out of one hundred, or one dollar.  Like percent."

"How does that work?"

Our discussion continues with whole numbers, tenths, hundredths, percents, fractions and decimals.

Then, a younger brother appears.

"Play with me, Fiona!"

"Ok."

Switching gears, she leaves the kitchen table with her brother to create imaginary worlds.

I wonder what next week's question will be?

No comments: