Saturday, March 5, 2011

Fireworks

If there is anything I've learned as an amateur photographer, it's that you should think like a Boy Scout: Always Be Prepared.  The plan yesterday was to go to town, visit the dentist (a three hour family visit), stop at the library, eat supper, pick up a few groceries, and head back home.  However, the Sprouts convinced us to stay for the local fireworks display which was part of the town's Winter Carnival festivities.  I was unprepared for this shoot.  I love taking pictures of fireworks, but it has been awhile since I last shot any, and I had forgotten many of the things needed to take half decent pictures.  Also, I was fumbling around in the dark setting up the shoot, hooking up my cable release and so on.  And in winter, always wear warm clothes (I knew I should have brought my snowpants!).  There were different kinds of fireworks, high and low, so finding a focal length became increasingly difficult.  Most of the pics ended up being too far away, and in two of the pics below, the fireworks are cropped because I wasn't using a wide enough focal length.  Sigh.  However, it was good practice, and the Sprouts enjoyed playing in the snow, making new friends and watching the fireworks display.

Some things to think about shooting fireworks:
  1. Aperture: I find shooting between f/5.6 and f/11 works well.
  2. ISO: always the lowest setting.  Because your shutter is open for a few seconds, and the sky is black, a lot of digital noise happens at higher ISO's.
  3. Use a cable release and a tripod.  If you don't you will have blurry pictures.
  4. Shoot in BULB mode.  I use a cable release and count anywhere from 4 to 11 seconds. 
  5. Shoot, adjust focal length to fit in fireworks, shoot again.  Shoot lots!
  6. Figure out which way the wind is blowing. You want to be aware of where the smoke from the fireworks will end up so it doesn't end up in your photos.

No comments: