Saturday, February 27, 2010

McDonald's Squared

Today was the first day in awhile in which we had to go to town on a Saturday for a grocery/library run. Of course, being the morning person that I am, I suggested getting up early so that we could have breakfast in town. All agreed, so we piled into the car at 7 AM this morning, drove to town and had breakfast at McDonald's at FK's insistence. This was ok by me, even though I prefer Tim Horton's breakfasts, because McD's has televisions which are showing Olympic coverage (and they also have coffee; definately need coffee in the morning). As we don't have satellite TV, to watch clips and reports from Vancouver was a welcome luxury. I even got a little verklempt watching a clip of speed skater Charles Hamelin skating to a gold medal finish, his girlfriend (silver medalist Marianne St-Gelais) jumping up and down, screaming and finally running down the stands jumping into his arms. Yes, I'm a) a proud Canadian and b) a hopeless romantic (but don't tell anyone).

So, filled with eggs and English muffins (and coffee, did I mention coffee?), we set off to do errands and visit the library. As we drove away from the library, it was once again decided that we would go to McD's for lunch. Sigh. And double sigh when the kids didn't even eat their food. And I, who feels guilty when there are leftovers, had plenty of delicious, scrumptious, McD's French fries. Triple sigh.

This afternoon I went for a run, burned off calories from two of the aforementioned French fries, and at least felt a little human again. And for supper, a delicious fruit smoothie to end the day on a healthy eating note.

No comments: