Friday, April 30, 2010

Dry

Up until yesterday there was a burn ban in this area of Ontario. It has been extremely dry. We have enjoyed summer-like weather for the past few weeks. However, the lakes are very low and a spate of grass fires prompted the Ministry of Natural Resources to post an extreme fire alert. Then, on Wednesday afternoon, you could feel a shift in the wind and moisture in the air as clouds began to roll in. Yesterday brought the first of the spring showers which is now replenishing the water supply. The affect of the rain on the plants, grass and trees has been tremendous. There are hues of green everywhere; God took hold of a few paintbrushes with various shades of green and with massive strokes reached down and happily used the Earth as a giant canvas. New life everywhere!

It's funny how your life matches up with weather patterns at times. I feel extremely dry right now and wonder if I can get through the last two months of teaching. The school year, though rewarding, has been a long, challenging one (and from what I have been hearing, next year even more so). My "spring shower" is still weeks away - summer holidays. I love summertime: enjoying the pleasure of the company of loved ones, travelling, exploring, camping, taking pictures, curling up in a quiet space to read, running long, taking the kids to the park (even if it is an hour away), watching movies, talking with family and friends on back porches and around campfires, buying produce at farmers' markets, and taking pictures (did I say that already?). I hope I can hold on just a little while longer so that my low water supply can be replenished...

"Fill my cup, Lord..."

No comments: